Thursday, October 3, 2013

This Too Shall Pass

Good morning MC Supporters,

Mike had a BIG DAY yesterday.  Just how do you have a BIG DAY when you are laying in bed 23.5/7?  Well as you know those pesky Nurses wake you at all hours of the night to make sure you are still comfortable and breathing...  Those vitals have to be recorded so Mike understands why they are there at 3am but geez, it's always when he is finally getting some good sleep.  :-)

Doctors, Nurses and the Trauma Team as well as the PT and OT's are coming and going all day long.  As well as housekeeping and nutrition.  It's a non-stop and some days feel as though there is a revolving door at the end of the room.

Dr. Hodges said the Frame is doing very well - they are pleased with how things are looking.  
Dr. Frome and Just Craig are pleased as well with how things are looking and feeling.  Because "Mike's Skin" is on his foot now, there will be no dressing change until next Monday.  It's important to let that new skin establish itself well before being disturbed.  We did hear that it's a bit of a patch-work quilt job on his flap because the Doctors had to work around his frame.  This proposes a challenge and the Frome Team did the best they could. 

Trauma Doc determined, based on a collection of notes from everyone taking care of MC, that Mike shall remain in the hospital till his scheduled surgery on the 14th.  This is his surgery with Dr. Gelhman to put the wires through his heel.  This is great news and this time will give MC what he needs to work hard with his PT & OT and get strength back. 

WARNING 


Below are photos from the Skin Graft area - you may not want to see them so scroll down slowly or exit now. 


Just in case this is your exit point - I would like to thank you for continued support on Mike's journey. 

Heart Hugs from the two of us.  SB & MC out...

IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE A COMMENT: (and Mike really wants you to) 
Click on the word comment below.  
Click on the drop-down and choose an option.  
Anonymous works well if you don't have a google account.  
Leave a comment in the box and be sure to sign your name so we know who you are.  


Second Warning


 
This is Jillian getting ready to open Mike's graft site up to the open air so the healing and scabbing can begin. 

Seriously now - this is graphic and you may want to be SURE you want to see this...  Don't say you were not warned.   Some of you will want to see and others won't and this is why I am including these photos.  
























One More Warning Folks












Jillian is carefully removing the outer bandages.  Everything looks good and normal. 
This is a view of the thigh area from Mike's perspective. He admittedly was taken aback when he first saw this. 


More bandages coming off.   If you were wondering - YES he is in quite a bit of pain. 
 Side view 

The white bandage is now removed completly and the xeroform is the only covering remaining.  His leg will stay like this, open to the air for the next several weeks as it scabs up and the xeroform drys up with the scab.  

A bit blurry but here is MC at the end of the day.  He is laying with his leg exposed and a room fan aimed at the site to encourage the drying.  The bleeding has stopped however the wound site is still oozing and gooey looking.   
Believe it or not - this looks good and it looks exactly like it is suppose to.  This gives you an idea as to how much of Mike's back was put on his foot / ankle / leg.  Dr. Frome told me that took "A LOT" of skin when I asked her how much.  

Whew - you made it - Remember MC will be here for a couple more weeks and besides his busy daytime schedule with all the Health Professionals, he would love to have you come by for a visit.  Personally I am now spending a little less time at the hospital and focusing more on "Sherry and my job".  After all "Life must have a balance in order to be thriving".  In order to be there for MC, I need to be there for SB. 

Love and hugs Sherry 

IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE A COMMENT: (and Mike really wants you to) 
Click on the word comment below.  
Click on the drop-down and choose an option.  
Anonymous works well if you don't have a google account.  
Leave a comment in the box and be sure to sign your name so we know who you are.  

5 comments:

  1. Best of healing to you MC. Keeping you in my prayers. Sherry, "you ROCK." Thanks for the updates.
    Freida Keller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I know you don't actually know me but wanted to say i've been following your progress and I'm sure YOU don't find this all that fascinating, I find it riveting.....I hope you are healing well, and feeling better and up and around soon. My fiance's cousin's husband was just in a bad bike crash earlier this week. He was not expected to survive, and so far is holding his own. He's not out of the woods yet, but as I read your blog I can help prepare my family for what he may have in store. Good luck!!!

    Rose Blue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Mikey! You must be enduring intense pain, just looking at the pictures of your leg makes my own skin feel creeped-out, my arm hairs are standing upright!

    We're praying for you - especially for the grafts to take hold, the tissues and nerves to heal properly, for blocks of restorative sleep and for encouragement. The accident that damaged your body and changed your life and the lives of those who know and love you happened in moments, the after effects will be with you always now. Thinking on this makes us consider our ways. Life is precious. Blessings to you as you rest this evening! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Mike! I can't believe how much you have gone through and still have a smile on your face! You obviously have a lot of people who care about you, especially Sherry! I couldn't help but look at the photos as I scrolled to the "comment" section. I now feel I am educated on the anatomy of the human, male quadricep muscle. Very fascinating. We're continuing to pray for you. Lisa Castro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude..........looks like how you used to Bar-B-Q Flank steak!! All kidding aside......Holy Crap! That has got to hurt! I am so PROUD of you!! You have been through so much and each time I talk to you on the phone, or text, e-mail, or visit you in the Hospital, you are positive, smiling, and looking forward. With that type of attitude, I know this will all be worth it in the end. I wanted to visit you today, but I know you are in pain and probably need time. I will be in to see you Sunday if you are up for it. You are such an amazing example for all of us Mike. I pray for you every day and I have my Bible Study Group praying for you too, I know God is watching over you. Take care buddy.
    (Serge)

    ReplyDelete