Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Healing Continues...

Good evening everyone!   

Today I took the morning to go to an eye appointment and then collect my Mom who had not yet had a chance to get up to see Mike.  When we arrived we rode the elevator up with a gentleman who had a Harley t-shirt on.  I'd say he was about 60.  I asked him if he rides? He said "yes".  We got off on the same floor, Trauma Recovery.  Then I asked if he was going visit someone who had been in a bike accident?  The answer again was "yes".  Two 19 yr olds were on the bike.  I asked if anyone died.  Once again the answer was "yes".  My heart went out to him and to the survivor who didn't yet know  that the girl riding on the back of his bike had been fatally wounded.   

I mention that story because - It touched me.  It made me think about that family all day. I can't relate to that man losing someone.  I can relate to the long recovery that may be ahead for the driver and the caregivers.  I felt a little strength come through...  I thought "it's happening"  

Later in the day I received an email from a long time client and someone I would call "friend".  Unbeknownst to me, she has been reading Mike's Blog all along.  She lives many, many states away.   Very recently she had a family member who has been through a tragic bike accident too.  He was not expected to live and is not out of the woods yet.  She now has some strength in believing that he CAN and WILL recover since she has been reading MC's blog.  There is some hope there for her.  Perhaps some hope that she can share with her family.  That made me feel good.  I write this blog to keep everyone updated.  I really do not know the impact the blog has or doesn't have on any given person.  I hope you find inner strength, compassion and gratitude for all that is around you!  

"If you ride - always ride as if no one sees you, don't speed, don't drink, respect the road and its rules and always wear your ALL of your gear. Dress for the crash NOT the ride.   If you don't ride - give riders lots of space. Bikers can stop much faster than you. Riders are very vulnerable.  Riders ride because they have the right, because they would rather be IN the movie than just watch it.  There is a thrill from the throttle and the lean and the smells in the air...  ALSO: Always have the best and the most insurance coverage you can afford.  Check with your agent, know your limits, understand what they mean and increase them if it makes sense.  It can be the difference in your future! "  SB

Here is a little bit of MC's day.  When my Mom, Nancy and I arrived Mike was in the restroom with OT.  Doing all that private bathroom stuff.  So we went for a walk.  When we got back Mike was in his recliner chair.  I took a small chair by the bed and My mom sat comfortably in his wheelchair.  It's a small room, but when there is a will there is always a way.  Mom and Mike had a good chance to catch up.  I think the trip to the bathroom and being in his chair really tired him out... so we left and he got back into bed for a much needed rest. 

When MC got into his chair they needed to take the gauze off his leg.  It was added for his bathroom trip since the bleeding started up a little on his thigh.  Nurse Stephanie got him all comfy. As much as he could be.  His comfy position usually lasts 10-15 minutes and he needs a shift again. 

Mike's bandage says "do not change dressing"  That lower leg will stay wrapped for about 5 more days before Dr. Frome will take a look at how the skin is doing.  Mike's leg looks pretty bad in this photo.  It's a bit dark and yes the blood is drying and it is dark red but not as scary as this picture looks.  Ewwww  ;-)


      "Freedom and independence comes in small steps"  
MC

Mike had a "good" day on his path to recovery and once again he appreciates all the comments.  He is emailed as soon as anyone leaves a comment below. (both of us get an email)  Thanks for taking the time to reach out to Mike - he loves what you have to say. 

Heart Hugs SB and MC


IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE A COMMENT: (and Mike really wants you to) 
Click on the word comment below.  
Click on the drop-down and choose an option.  
Anonymous works well if you don't have a google account.  
Leave a comment in the box and be sure to sign your name so we know who you are.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike,
    I am fairly new member to the Sharktank, '04ultraroadglideguy, (one Month). Just here to say hello and wish you well brother. There is a new member who has been where you are at just one year before your accident. I do not know if you have access to the web but here is a link to the thread. http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=83809 His is an amazing story of where he was little over a year ago and where he is now.
    Keep the faith praying for you as speedy a recovery as possible.
    Stay strong, John.

    ReplyDelete