Friday, September 6, 2013

Sept 6th Surgery update and Sherry took a nap! zzzzzzzz :-)

Good afternoon from cloudy Portland - It's our typical Willamette Valley Day.  Hopping for some of our incredible sunny September days that Portland is known for. 

Mike started the day at 6am when he headed down to surgery for a Debridment surgery and wound dressing with the VAC.  There is so much flesh exposed that he has to be "under" to have this procedure done. (especially the debridment)   I had a couple of appointments early this morning so I popped in about 10 am for my day.  I caught Mike just after he got back to his room.  I didn't speak with the doctor but heard it went well.  Dr. Fromm is mapping out all those veins that she will be using and I heard she feels confident that MC has what it takes to make this upcoming Free Flap surgery a success.  

After returning to his room there was an issue with the VAC and it had a small leak but Mike was whisked off to some other floor for an ultra sound on his leg.  The one that almost happened at 2am - Mike's RN put the kibosh on that one since he had surgery at 7am.  

Mike heading out for Ultrasound in his "dress"
They won't let him wear his shorts and Harley T-Shirt for procedures.  :-( 

This afternoon presented a little problem as they worked hard for almost 3 hours to seal up the leak in the wound VAC.  Finally the machines stopped beeping and chirping and all was quiet.  What happened next was amazing!!!  I sat down in the room recliner and fell fast asleep.  I think i dozed off for 30 minutes or better.  This was my first nap in 37 days.  Mike told me that everyone that came in the room got the shhhhhhh from him.  Now that's funny because he was taking care of me.  I think that nap was much needed.  :-)  "Thanks MC" !!
Multitasking at it's finest. Wound VAC suction repair while OT
 is helping MC with band flexing / strengthening.



Mike has had several guests and wonderful phone calls from various friends.  Here is who stopped in to see him since my last update :  Clay Morgan, Pat, Chris, Papa Jim, Jeff Ravencraft, Leonard Weitman, Ben and Mike Ashe, Christopher and Maria Locatell & Miles Jackson. (my son)  He received calls from old work colleagues Dick Dryden & from EC Company Leah Goldstone-Schuller and Steve Trapp.  He has really enjoyed all the great reconnects.  Sounds more like he invited everyone to a Tupperware party or something. 
Who's next?  Don't be too shy.  I know a few are on the schedule for tomorrow.  The friends coming by right now are a great distraction and gives Mike a big warm heart - he feels the love! 


Mike's big surgery with the Free Flap will defiantly be happening this coming Thursday.  One of the other things they will be doing to his foot is taking off the exterior fixator and replacing it with a Ilizarov apparatus - "what's that you ask"?   Check it out here

SB & MC are out for the evening - have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, thank you so very much for keeping everything together. I know he goes by "MC" now. But, forever he will be "Mikey" to me! Love ya Mikey! Thank you for being the Ambassador for the family! You are AMAZING! It's easy to see what Mikey sees in you. You are so beautiful and loving. Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete