Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sept 12th Part 2 - The evening of Mike's Big Surgery day



Here's MC's ICU journey so far. 

These two lovely ladies brought Mike up to his room.  


Getting set up with Nurse Amy - she did a great job getting him all set up and settled into his new 5 Star Digs!  The remodel here was done just 6 months ago.  It's a huge beautiful room. 

Here is another view of the room.  I love this photo because you can see my briefcase handle is suffering from a screw loose / done fallen out situation.  :-/
It's funny in some respects.  It sort of reflects how I feel some days.  Not quite whole but still able to roll!  Those that know me, know that I take my wheelie everywhere! 

So here is MC just into ICU - not the greatest shot ( I know he'll say that) but this depicts what's happening right now and how he's feeling.  Pain level from shoulder to foot is a solid 8.  They have been working hard to calm everything down.   


 Here is my new view.  Huge room, my own couch and rolling table - ha a portable office.  Actually I have spent the last 3 hours helping to assist him in getting comfortable.  
The room is kept at 80 degrees and the vents are just above the couch I'm on and they are vented toward me.  It's a bit warm in here, but a nice break from all the air conditioned rooms that are near freezing.  Mike is getting great attention from his new ICU Nurse Cassie.  Shift change happens at 7 and all sorts of things always seem to happen at that time.  Cassie has a whole list of To-Dos for MC tonight.  Checking for bed sores, rolling off his hips and so on.  Perhaps getting his big cushy foam topper back on his bed too. 
 Here is one of the ICU Trauma PA's working with Cassie to get Mike a pain med pump.  He will have a personal assistant throughout the night if he needs it every 12 minutes.  He is resting much better in this photo.  Finally getting the pain under control. 
Dr. Frome put this sign on his foot - his BIG, BIG, FOOT. 
It's very important that NO pressure goes to that side of the foot.  So far the Cook Doppler (see the green wires) is picking up blood flow to the foot!  This is very, very good!   everyone is happy and the back seems to be in agreement that it will take over for the foot.  We'll know more as the days go on.  Now as far as the back being happy about taking over for the foot - that is completely another story. 
Mike was cut under the right armpit all the way in an arc to his spine just above his pelvis.  A BIG incision.  And his back is NOT happy about that part.  Lots of nerves firing and trying to figure out what the heck just happened and where did my muscle go?  
This is Mike's right arm.  When I told him he had dozens of wires connected to him, I wasn't kidding.  His wires have wires and you can't even begin to see them all.  

MC is well and he/ we the peanut gallery are happy to be beginning that journey on the other side with him.  Mike is in great hands and we heard so many raves reviews about Dr. Frome and that Mike had the best of the very best!  More soon  and just know that MC so appreciates all of your support.  I have been relaying emails, text messages and so on as they come in. 

Big Heart Hugs tonight with SB & MC in ICU

2 comments:

  1. Mike - you and Sherry are in my thoughts day and night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey, I;m so proud of you! SB

    ReplyDelete